WooCommerce regularly comes up with various updates. But this one is a major one. Today let me brief you about the safest way to update your website to the latest WooCommerce release i.e WooCommerce 2.4.
Note: These steps can be used for updating your website to any WooCommerce release, but these steps are must for major release like this one.
Advice for Store Owners
It is highly recommended not to update WooCommerce on your live store as there are risks that it may breakdown your website.
Here’s a risk-free way to update:
Steps to Update your Store
- Firstly, create a replica of your store on a testing/staging site OR you can also create replica on your machine
- Make a list of installed plugins & themes.
- Check if their WooCommerce 2.4 compatible versions are available, contact developers if required.
- Check if your website theme is also WooCommerce 2.4 compatible, contact developer if necessary
- Keep updating those plugins & theme which are compatible with WooCommerce 2.4
- Also keep a record of those plugins & themes which need a database upgrade
- If automatic update is not available, first deactivate & delete the plugin & then install & activate the latest version
- Now update WooCommerce & ‘Run Updater’, if asked
- Test all functionality on your site, specially purchase process 🙂
- Report to respective developers if their plugins or theme are facing any issue & ask for working solution
- When each & every issue is resolved on your testing environment, now you ready to upload it on live store
- Take full backup of your live store: files & database
- Upload all compatible plugins & theme via FTP except WooCommerce
- Deactivate & Re-activate those plugins on live store which needs database upgrade (you already made list of such plugins)
- Now update WooCommerce alone & ‘Run Database Updater’ if asked
- Perform test on each functionality on your site again
- Take help of respective developers if you are still facing any issue
- If everything is working fine, pat yourself. Give a treat to yourself to preserve this in your memory 🙂
For more detailed steps you can view WooCommerce Major Update – should you upgrade or wait??.
What We Are Doing
Store Apps is in the process of making our plugins compatible. Soon we’ll announce full compatibility of our plugins with WooCommerce 2.4.
Just for a heads-up, we’ve planned to release all plugins on or before 14th August 2015.
Plugins with most changes for WooCommerce 2.4
- WooCommerce Chained Products
- WooCommerce Serial Key
- WooCommerce Renewals
- Offer Your Price
- Update Variations In Cart
- Bulk Variations Manager
Plugins with few or zero change for WooCommerce 2.4
- Smart Manager
- Smart Reporter
- Smart Offers
- WooCommerce Smart Coupons
- WooCommerce Smart Refunder
- WooCommerce Segment.io Integrations
- WooCommerce Coupons By Location
- WooCommerce Gateways By Location
- WooCommerce Coupon Message
- WooCommerce Auto Complete Virtual Orders
- WooCommerce Sold Individually
- WooCommerce Buy Now