WooCommerce grouped products mean users can group or chain complementary / similar products together and offer them to the customers in the form of a bundle. A group may include main items and products which are otherwise considered “uncategorized” or “additional”.
Product grouping is an ideal option for online sellers as customers tend to purchase more when items match their requirements or enhance the usability of each when purchased together. They can be bought individually as well.
Now, there are different types of product grouping and there are different plugins for the same. In this article, we’ll cover all the major grouping types and a popular plugin for each.
Why you need to group products?
Every WooCommerce industry, such as digital, beauty, health and nutrition, food, FMCG, etc. can group products to boost sales. It is a powerful bundling option that allows sellers to give suggestions to their customers related to what they are buying. Besides, it also enhances revenues and cross-selling for WooCommerce online stores.
Product grouping comes in handy when a product has too many related products or different versions. In such cases, a single product page is needed for every product so that customers can easily access every product type either separately or through the main product page where all the items are grouped.
Let’s take an example of this concept in a better way.
Suppose a store owner sells shoes. This product can be grouped with shoe polish and relevant socks, as individuals who need the shoes will obviously need the other two products. Therefore, grouping these related products together will result in increased revenues and sales.
Following are the major benefits of WooCommerce grouped products:
For customers – Product grouping allows customers to find the items matching their interests, taste, and preferences without browsing across the website.
For sellers – Sellers can sell additional or similar items.
Additionally, this functionality helps in creating inter-links between the different product pages, making it important for a site’s SEO.
Types of product grouping in WooCommerce
Product grouping is included in WooCommerce core but limited to simple products. There are different types of grouping for which you need to look beyond the core WooCommerce. Though things look the same, there are quite differences in how the products are grouped based on customer needs and store owners’ ideas to increase sales.
Also, most product grouping plugins mentioned below overlap and have share some similar functionality. So pick based on your requirements.
If you wish to offer custom pre-configured products, discounted bundles to customers, you need to chain products.
Here, when a buyer adds the main product into the cart, the chained products automatically get added to the customer order.
When buyers add the “main” product to the cart they pay price for the “main” product but get the “chained” products as well. However, individual pricing for chained items can be done.
For example, if your main product is a shaving razor, and you chain shaving kit, cream, after-shave gel to the razor, the customer will get all four items as a bundle.
Chained Products plugin
Chained Products extension on WooCommerce.com is the popular plugin to enable the chaining functionality on your store.
The plugin allows users to create a “chain” for simple and variable product items. It highlights the chained products before and after the “Add to Cart” button or is featured in the product tabs. It leads to increased sales as customers are forced to purchase the chained items alongside the main product.
- Chain multiple products with different quantities to the main product
- Chain products as a free gift along with the main product.
- Customers can’t change bundle configuration, so it is easier for them to focus on the value the bundle or the package delivers.
- Create nested product bundles.
- Offer chained products as individually priced.
- Compatible with WooCommerce Subscriptions.
Product bundles are next in the list of WooCommerce grouped product types. Unlike chaining products, here you club multiple related products together into one and offer the bundle at some discount or no discount.
It enhances the appeal as customers get great discount deals on individual items as well as on the entire package.
Product Bundles plugin
Product Bundles extension can be purchased from WooCommerce.com. The plugin gives you the flexibility to create personalized bundles easily and quickly.
- Allows individuals to control the maximum or minimum quantity of products that customers should add to their cart.
- Allows users to pick their ideal layout options from the multiple available selections.
- Group simple, variable and subscription products together — or pick specific variations.
- Promote bundles anywhere on your store with shortcodes and upsells.
- Offer bulk quantity discounts with dynamic pricing rules.
In force sells, you usually link a product to the main product (both in the same quantity) and as a result, both products get added to the cart. The best example could be linking an extended warranty or service to a product.
WooCommerce Force Sell plugin
Force Sells extension on WooCommerce.com is a good plugin to do force sells.
- Normal force sells – linked products and main product gets added to cart in the same quantity. Products can be removed and quantity can be changed.
- Synced force sells – same like normal force sells but users can’t remove a synced force sell from the cart or change the quantity.
Composite products are an option for building product kits and assembling the products by grouping them into configurable components. It’s a robust and flexible WooCommerce builder that gives users some customization options.
Composite Products plugin
Composite Products extension on WooCommerce.com is quite popular to create product assemblies.
The plugin offers full compatibility to the users and allows them to combine different products and create powerful bundles. It facilitates a seamless shopping experience for users.
- Allows buyers to assemble the products on their own from the given list
- The price of the product can be determined by summing the price of different products or it can be fixed.
- Allow buyers to pick products of their choice, filtered by tags, id, or categories.
- Highlight the product list of every component in multiple ways – radio button, drop down, or product thumbnails.
- Set a maximum or minimum quantity for every component.
Mix and Match products
This is best suited for offering similar products in bulk containers. Selling a fruit basket, pack of donuts, chocolate boxes and more…this is perfect for encouraging customers to buy in bulk without forcing them to buy items that don’t interest them.
Mix and Match products
The plugin that comes to my mind is Mix and Match Products, available on WooCommerce.com.
The plugin allows you to set the assortment size limit (number of items needed to “complete” a container) and define which items customers can choose.
This enables your customer to maintain control over the quantity of individual products being packaged together. For example, if customers don’t want 4 blue t-shirts, allow them to buy 2 black and two white ones. Or any other combination.
- Mix and match simple products and product variations in a container.
- Choose a static price for the whole container or price individually.
- Ship all assortments in one package or separate packages.
- Inventory-managed assortments.
WooCommerce grouped products not only allow sellers to categorize the “uncategorized” products but are also an ideal way for promoting and cross-selling items in an online store.
The customers aren’t forced to do anything but are encouraged to purchase the “right combination” of products which eventually saves their time and effort. It not only enhances the shopping experiences of customers but also boosts their sales. Based on your requirements, the best plugins are in front of you to choose from.